Excessive sun exposure may have damaged the cells that produce melanin, leading to dark spots on your face, chest, and hands. You can’t just treat spots; you have to protect your skin from the sun every day or the spots will come back.
- In the morning, smooth on a serum that has a potent antioxidant and skin lightening property such as vitamin C, kojic acid, or niacinamide to help minimize discoloration and protect skin from sun damage. These products can also be used at night. Try EILEEN MAI® Vitamin C serum, EILEEN MAI® Brightening Serum, or EILEEN MAI® Niacin Complex
- Then apply a daily broad-spectrum sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher on your face, neck, chest, and hands. By wearing sunscreen, you can stop new dark spots from forming and keep existing ones from getting worse. Try EILEEN MAI® Vitamin C Daily Protection Moisturizer SPF 30
- At night, use a moisturizer or treatment containing retinol, Vitamin C or peptides, such as EILEEN MAI® Retinol Skin Smoothing Serum , EILEEN MAI® Vitamin C Night crème, or if you have sensitive skin, you could try EILEEN MAI® Peptide Firming Night crème. These speed up cell turnover to help reveal newer, brighter skin.
- Exfoliating two or three times a week or using a Glycolic Acid at-home peel like Pumpkin Enzyme Peel once a week, but not on the same day you use a retinol product; the combination could cause irritation. The best is to combine using a physical exfoliant once or twice a week and an enzyme or a glycolic acid peel once a week. This step helps to remove the top layer of discolored skin, lighten spots and allow active ingredients to penetrate more easily.
- Be patient, it can take up to six months to see results. For faster results, getting professional chemical peels at a spa or laser treatments at the doctor’s office will speed up this lightening process.